Working professionals from the corporate sector are increasingly falling prey to various lifestyle diseases like heart problems, hypertension, obesity, and diabetes.
- The causes behind these life-threatening diseases range from:
- Lack of sleep
- Personal and Professional Stress
- Long working hours
- Sedentary lifestyle choices
- Physical Inactivity
- Wrong eating habits, etc.
- This affects the employee’s enthusiasm and results in non-productivity impacting the company’s productivity as well.
It is important for every company to maintain and improve the health of employees so that they feel a sense of belonging and remain faithful to the company. The easiest way to achieve this is by introducing preventive healthcare in the corporate culture which are measures taken to prevent diseases rather than treating them. One is advised to go for a routine check-up even if the person is healthy as lifestyle diseases are asymptomatic in nature.
The benefits of employee wellness are:
- Lower stress level
- Improved physical fitness and stamina
- Improved health and wellbeing and self-esteem
- Enhanced personal and professional relationships
- Reduced personal healthcare costs
- Decreased rates of chronic diseases
According to the ASSOCHAM report called ‘Preventive Healthcare and its impact on the Corporate Sector’, every rupee spent on prevention saves Rs. 133 in absenteeism costs and Rs. 6.62 in healthcare costs for companies. The report also states that preventive health check-ups can also have a positive effect in reducing absenteeism and impact economic health of corporates.
Conducting executive wellness programs have many benefits for the employer:
- Lower healthcare costs
- Attracting and retaining employees
- Increase in productivity
- Drop in absenteeism
- Reduction in work-related injuries
In order to be able to help an employee at an individual level, it’s crucial to demonstrate awareness of work-related health issues, recognition and early identification of health ailments. Even during joining, the employer goes for pre-employment health checkups to confirm whether the new employee is healthy and medically fit.
Education and motivation about improving individual health can prove to be advantageous for both employees and employers. Indus Health Plus – India’s leading preventive health checkup company, provides a wide range of customized and comprehensive corporate health checkups.